Natural Remedies For Insomnia

Insomnia is a medical condition, characterized with irregularities in sleep. It is a problem faced by thousands of people in the United States, not to mention its global figures. However, there are several natural remedies, where the treatment generally focuses on a holistic approach, which tries to cure the impairment of the whole body of person, both physically and psychologically.

natural remedies for insomnia try to cure the factors, which results the sleeplessness and induce the triggering factors of sleep. There are mainly two types – sleep onset insomnia and sleep maintenance insomnia – characterized according to the difference in the sleep behavior. The reasons for insomnia will range from psychological disorders to lifestyle factors such as stress, anxiety, hypertension, other psychiatric problems, physical impairments, nutrient deficiency, hormonal imbalance, and environmental factors. Chronic Insomnia will require serious attention and long time treatment whereas intermittent insomnia, are effectively be cured by natural remedies by avoiding the immediate stress and motivating triggering factors. Natural remedies include herbal remedies, behavioral therapies, relaxation techniques, good lifestyle habits, and ideal sleep hygiene.

The practice of an ideal lifestyle is the primary step in the natural remedy. Avoid the use of alcohol and harmful alkaloids such as caffeine, and nicotine, which may disturb sleep. Practice good sleep hygiene that include routine time table for sleep and wake up, well ventilated bed rooms, convenient bedding, and avoidance of noise, light and any such disturbances. The rooms play a vital role in inducing sleep; hence adopt any traditional methods such as Feng Shui, to arrange the room and use pastel colors for accessories, which helps to balance the energy level of the bed room.

Practice a balanced diet, sufficient with all nutrients. It is said that the adequate levels of iron and magnesium is necessary for sleep, since they acts as important co-factors. Vitamins and minerals such as calcium and zinc are also to be essentially included in the diet, or else use their supplements. Avoid heavy meals, just prior to sleep. Try to have supper at least few hours before bedding. Try to have a sleep inducing herbal tea or drinks such as milk, before going to bed.

Herbal remedies play an important role in the natural ways to overcome insomnia. It is proven that herbal remedies contain certain alkaloids, which can trigger the neurotransmitters and hormones, which induce sleep. However, it is advised to seek the opinion of a physician, before practicing herbal drinks since it may alter the endocrine system of a person, having any serious complaints. The common herbal remedies include Hops, Valerian root, Passion flower, Californian Poppy, and Dog wood. Aromatherapy advocates that a bath in water containing the infusions of the herbs, before sleeping will help to avoid insomnia.

Exercises and relaxation therapies such as biofeedback, muscle relaxation therapy, visualization therapy, and yoga are essential to ease out stagnated energy and mental tensions, which may help to induce sleep.

Remember! A sound body and sound mind is necessary for an adequate sleep. Hence maintain good habits and lifestyle.

Jason Rickard

——————-

Do you want to know more about cyst on ovary? Check out ovarian cysts no more

12 Comments »

1. Hope said :
    January 18, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Suffering from Insomnia, any natural remedies or suggestions?
    I have been suffering from insomnia for the past 5 weeks i started with 4 hrs of sleep daily and now i am down to 2hrs, it is really affecting me, i am having migraines and headaches, dizzy spells, my mind is not focused and i have some really bad mood swings.

Any natural remedies or suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Miss Vida said :
    January 18, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Exercise is my best bet, and then dealing with anything that’s bothering me. Usually if I am going through a stressful time, I have a hard time sleeping, but I can’t necessarily immediately stop the source of the stress (life is stressful sometimes!).

Herbal stuff you can try is the good ol’ standby, Valerian root! Sometimes I try a shot of whiskey/scotch which helps. I’ve heard wacky tobackky works eeps too. Apparently eating some dairy (milk, ice cream, whatever) helps. I don’t know if you can get tryptophan (I think that’s how it is spelled), ’cause that’ll work!

Lastly, I go take a bath, drink some nighttime tea, take some valerian root or drink some whiskey, get myself super relaxed and warm, then I go to sleep! Yay!

Anywho, good luck, that sucks!
    References :

3. BillParkhurst said :
    January 18, 2010 at 10:22 pm

The first place to make changes is your diet. Cut the coffee, soda pop, red meat and junk food.

Next, start getting regular exercise. Turn off the TV and the computer and take a walk, ride a bike or something that makes you tired.

When you sleep, keep it down to 4 or 5 hours. Long periods of sleep will leave you groggy and listless.

Right before bed enjoy peppermint tea. Warm milk is also good. Some people like chamomile tea. As you fall asleep give yourself suggestions to improve your sleep and other aspects of your health you want to improve. Enjoy dreaming!
    References :

4. budiman2222 said :
    January 18, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Avoid tea and coffee. Sit down and do some simple meditation. Method: Sit upright on chair without leaning to the back, upright yet relax. close your eyes slowly. Nod your face down 30 degress. Breath normally. While exhaling, move your mind down from solar plexus (mid stomach below chest bone) to the lower stomach. Each meditation 30 minutes. After a few days, you will sleep like pig (no offence).
    References :

5. K. F said :
    January 18, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Diet and exercise are good places to start. You can also take a dietary supplement called L-tryptophan as an over-the-counter sleep aid. Be careful not to take it for long periods, though. L-tryptophan is a chemical that is found naturally in turkey which seems to help people fall asleep.

From experience, one of the best ways to treat insomnia is to try to figure out WHY you have it. It could be that you’re going through a chemical change. It could be that you’re stressed about something. If you’re stressed, try to confront the stressor and work through it. If the insomnia is caused by changes in your body, you might want to consider going to the doctor. Insomnia could be an indication of a thyroid problem or some other easily treatable health problem.

Good luck getting the sleep you need.
    References :

6. Esma said :
    January 18, 2010 at 10:28 pm

I’ve had insomnia my entire life. My trick is to have a routine–not a bedtime routine, going to sleep at the same time every night, since that’s impossible for me. I watch the same TV show or movie every night and the repetition of the words and sounds helps me sleep.

I also eat before bed–nothing heavy or fattening, but food seems to help.
    References :

7. kay kay said :
    January 18, 2010 at 10:30 pm

cheer up’ turn to a new leaf” NOTHING LAST FOREVER;.
    References :

8. redd headd said :
    January 18, 2010 at 10:34 pm

Milk helps and no caffeine couple hours before bed. All of these things that the others mentioned work, you may have to go to a doctor and get something you have to sleep. Have you tried Benadryl it makes you very drowsy. It may help used with some of the other suggestions.
    References :

9. sugar bear said :
    January 18, 2010 at 10:36 pm

You could knock our self in the head with a rubber mallet!?? LOL
    References :

10. THE"IS" said :
    January 18, 2010 at 10:38 pm

I DO NOT LIKE TO SAY THIS AND IT GOES AGANST EVERY THING I’VE QUIT DOING FOR HEALTH REASONS,BUT A GOOD SHOT,AN I MEAN A GOOD SHOT OF WHISKEY WILL PUT YOU TO SLEEP
    References :

11. sxctighteyedtam said :
    January 18, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Valerian roots is the BEST natural sleep aid, and can be purchased at nearly every drug store in the vitamin section. I’ve also tried Melatonin…but for some reason, I always had weird dreams and restless sleep on that one.

The mood swings and irritability is definitely coming from your lack of sleep. Maybe you should see a doctor. I used to have bad anxiety attacks at night and I would wake up every hour and a half…all night long, for weeks at a time. I was crabby as hell.

I talked to my doctor and she gave me ambien. After taking it for about a month, I stopped having the anxiety attacks and was finally able to get to sleep on my own. I haven’t taken an Ambien in MONTHS!
    References :

12. ? sweet serenity ? said :
    January 18, 2010 at 10:46 pm

My suggestion is very simple: if you have something worthwhile to dream about you will really feel like going to sleep! Think of your "long lost" favorite things and go to sleep! Happy dreams! ;)
    References :